Monday, April 24, 2006

And Then There Was More Light...

Ah, XJ-40 Electrics!

Our latest fault has been that the right hand side headlight had stopped working. Both filaments stopped at once and the bulb failure warning came on on the dash, as you might expect. Too much of a conincidence that both filaments should go at once, eh? Must be a failure of one of those pesky (and extremely unreliable) relay modules.

So, out I take it and examine it carefully and it appears to be toast. All sort of marks on the PCB, dodgy solder joints - it was a miracle it ever worked in my opinion. The bulb looked brand new and was clearly not at fault so I put it back in the headlight fitting..

Anyway long story short, the black box was not at fault, it *was* the bulb after all so another thing learned. I really should have tested it with the multimeter but I couldn't be bothered yesterday. Silly Billy.

So, we have light again, and at least it gave me the opportunity to check the earths and clean up a few things in the engine bay. I also gave the old girl a wash and cleaned the windows in celebration.

On a lighter note (no pun intended!) I wrote to Marshall Jaguar today in search of sponsorship. We'll see what comes of it...

Simon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home